Saturday, March 12, 2011

In the aftermath

Embarassingly enough, I was going to write about my day yesterday after Tokyo tried to shake us from her like the pesky residents we are, but that feels too trite right now, even for me, in light of how devastating the last 24 hours have been. And continue to be...

I'm safe, as is the beau and our family and friends in Aomori. I'm not sure what to do with myself at the moment, other than stay glued to the news while the aftershocks roll in and out. I've often lamented how lonely and isolating it can be here at times, but the number of people who have contacted me from overseas and have contacted my parents to make sure we are all right makes me weak with gratitude. Clutching onto a fence on the sidewalk yesterday to ground myself to the pavement so desperate to buck me as the surrounding buildings visibly swayed and shuttered as if a quick breeze was blowing through, I wasn't convinced it would ever end.

19 comments:

J said...

Well DITTO. Yesterday, as I was blissfully unaware of the sheer hell unleashed upon Sendai, I was staring at my freezing feet feeling sorry for myself that 8 hours later I still wasn't home. And then I got home, saw the images and um, woe is me NOT.

Mr. Salaryman said...

Really scary stuff, good to hear you and your close ones are safe!

Sarahf said...

Glad you're OK, Kinda puts stuff into perspective, doesn't it?

mpw said...

I am so glad you & your loved ones are alright!

Gaijin Wife said...

Fuckin unreal. Glad you and your lot are safe. God damn earthquakes.

xxx

SomedaysSarah said...

Scary and horrific.

Good to hear from you.

goeast said...

glad to hear you and your loved ones are safe!

was thinking about you and Jen B yesterday, but didn't know how to contact you other than by blog. glad to know you are ok!

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

Thank you for your messages, I'm glad those of you in Japan are all safe!!

dr. kat said...

good to read some good news. stay safe!

Lea-chan said...

glad to hear you are ok!! i know it`s been a while but u can always call me if u need to talk. do you still have my #?

Japan Australia said...

I am glad to hear that you and your friends are safe. We keep getting reports of more quakes and further problems in Japan. Our hopes and wishes are with you Japan in this time of need.

Japan Australia

Ἀντισθένης said...

In case the winds shift from the Fukushima nuke-plants, make sure you locate some potassium-iodide. My longer explanation is here, and I included product pictures: http://hanlonsrzr.blogspot.com/2011/03/if-theres-meltdown-and-on-shore-winds.html

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you're alive and well. Take care.

Lisa said...

Glad you are ok!

Anonymous said...

Such a relief to hear one of my favourite bloggers is OK. Posting a comment for the first time, BTW:) Stay safe and warm wishes from cold Scandinavia.

illahee said...

stay safe, GEG!

Anna said...

Sooo glad you're okay!
Stay safe & keep your chin up, same goes for the beau & family.
It'll hopefully all get better soon.

Best wishes to all of Japan from Canada!

Tako Hostil said...

I am really glad to read that you are okay. Please, stay safe.

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

goeast: I can be reached at my email address on the right...thanks again for thinking of me.

Lea-thanks, I think I do but my keitai info has changed. I'll shoot you an email in a bit...

Everyone, regular commenters, new commenters (from Scandanavia, wow!!!) thank you again for contacting me, it means the world.