Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Please don't do it anymore

I guess the good times had to come to an end, but I expected more from Tokyo Metro - a wedding, blow out fight, or even double suicide by Creepy and his on-again-off-again wife. Instead, I was greeted with this when I made the mistake of taking a train back in April:


It freaked me out, too. I immediately checked Tokyo Metro's site and it confirmed my worst fears: our favourite creepster is no more and we can now look forward to at least a year of animals being anthropomorphized. Dear readers, I'm sorry, but I'm just not an animal person. This doesn't mean I kick puppies, but I don't have pictures of animals on my computer and I find it a strain to get overly excited about cute animals (although sometimes they get the better of me). I did recently buy a top with a sweet zebra print...does that count?

Maybe it's not a permanent flaw. After all, as a teenager I told my mother that I wasn't a feminist and look at my feministy 'tude now. I wouldn't hold my breath though...


This is kind of an endearing picture, if only because the dog looks so ridiculous flying through the air at us like a furry missile. Nonetheless, I will probably discontinue my dwindling commentary on the Metro's monthly manner posters, unless I find other ones that are a bit more stimulating. So there you have it - I am GEG, evil eyer of salarymen and not quite lover of animals.

12 comments:

Melanie said...

(mostly a lurker here)

But considering this is Japan, the cute animals might actually get the Japanese people to do or not do what it is the posters are designed for.


Never understood why 50 year old women must have a collection of Hello Kitty.....

TheOctopus said...

That last picture is crying out to be photoshopped with Domo-kun, in an "Every time you masturbate on a Tokyo Metro seat, God kills a puppy" kind of way.

Sarahf said...

That cat disturbs me slightly.

locohama said...

That was exactly what i thoought when I saw the photo: Furry missile!! lol

J said...

Hahahhhhh, and there we were walking around Marunouchi with me interrupting conversation to say "Sparrow! Oooh he's flicking his tail! Awwww!". And yet you love me and I love you. For this you are awesome. :-)

SomedaysSarah said...

Now that I'm back to commuting via the subway system I saw the sign at the start of April and, once I figured out what it was, was hoping you might find some way of making fun of it. The fluffy animals just don't compare to Creepy, though, do they? Sigh.

Kathryn said...

I'm sorry to see Creepy go too but the posters were losing their edge. A few times they really seemed to be scraping.

The cat is disturbing but the dog is kinda cute. I'm with Melanie -- cute animals aren't the way to go with the Japanese, I think.

Btw, I noticed you added my site to your links. Thanks heaps :)

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

Melanie: Thanks for commenting (I think I read your blog, too - not sure if it's you or not). The animals probably do speak to more of the public than "trendy" pop art. Right with you on the anti-kawaii for anyone over their teen years.

Octopus: Do you think Domo-kun would appeal more to the masturbating masses?!

Sarahf: I found myself turning away from it all that month...

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

locohama: it's coming to get ya!!! I don't think it will make it to Yokohama though :)

Jen B: god I hope you don't think I was masquerading all this time as a fierce lover of animals!!! To be fair, that bird was cute. Interrupt away in the future! x

Sarah: They really don't. I'll try to think of something but I was scared enough to admit to not being animal crazy...not sure I can do much with animals unless they start getting freaky!!

kathrynoh: Sorry it didn't happen sooner. You may have noticed that I am pretty horrible at site maintenance and all that jazz :)

TheOctopus said...

This is the image I was thinking of.

Yout said...

Haha I love these ads. I hate to say it. Simple mind, I guess.

But I would trade it all to have your commentary on the Creepy family!

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

Maria: Ha. Thanks :)