Friday, September 2, 2011

I take it back

I eat my words. The check-out lady who frazzles my patience has been temporarily removed from my shit list. The other morning I was in there early buying my beverages for the day and as she handed me my change she pointedly chirped out, kyou mo ganbatte kudasai (try your best again today!). I had taken to wearing sunglasses in the store like some affected teenager or simply avoiding eye contact with her so as to help block out the constant barrage of commentary, but this was so unexpected it broke my steely concentration and I had to smile and thank her. And I meant it.

3 comments:

Chris said...

It's the little things...

They really are not so little though. A kind word or considerate act at the right moment is worth it's weight in gold if not just making us believe most everyone is lost self absorbed and ignorant.

Glad you had a nice moment :)

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

Thanks Chris. Those little things really are worth their weight in gold and remind me that not everyone is out to get me :)

SomedaysSarah said...

There was one lady at the grocery store where I used to live who would say "otsukare sama" when I went in in the evening, sometimes telling me I looked tired and shouldn't work too hard, or telling me to take care as it was getting cold, or... it made my day more than once. Glad you're getting some grocery lady love.