Monday, March 2, 2009

Sayonara to Please do it at home


You were hoping for something a little more punchy, I was hoping for something a little more punchy. Instead we got Creepy Sweepy's younger brother with square glasses. He's anything but square however, as you can observe from his not-so-subtle attempt to camouflage his snotty and festering tissue behind his shoe. With his untucked and rumpled shirt, I wouldn't be surprised if he just got out of some joint in Kabukicho. Or rather couldn't pay his bill and Creepy Sweepy had to go rescue him from local yakuza threats. Poor Sweepy. And he just recovered from a broken leg too. He needs to grow a pair and start standing up to his younger brother and the big bad world on the Tokyo subway in general, instead of clasping his hands together and cowering like an old granny.

I'm not so thrilled with this final installation of the manner poster series. What was your favourite? Did they neglect to instruct people on a manner you see as a particular problem in Tokyo? Personally, I think if you couldn't read English or Japanese, you might mistake this last poster as an instructional guide, what with the numbered boxes and all. 1) Blow your nose. 2) Simply drop crumpled tissue on the floor. 3) Back sweep with foot until tissue is safely behind your shoe. Thank you and have a nice day.

3 comments:

Reannon said...

Awww...that's the last one in the series? WHY?

I think there's still a lot that hasn't been covered.

Like what about:

Please Do It At Home: Brush Your Teeth

How many times have I had to hold my breathe on the crowded train because someone next to me has bad breath, I have no idea.

Or Maybe: Please Do It in the Movie Theater: Stare at Foreigners.

Ha ha. : ) But seriously, your commentary on these signs is pretty ingenious. I was looking at the sign yesterday and trying to come up with something witty to say about it...but it was just so lame. Well done.

Kathryn said...

That is pretty tame but then I'd be extremely grossed out if someone did that.

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

Reannon: LOVE your suggestions, especially the second one. I would truly relish suggesting to some people to go to the theatre. Or at least to give me 1800 yen to stare.