Monday, August 10, 2009

August Storms

I don't know what it's been like in other parts of these fair islands but the weather in Tokyo has been a little apocalyptic as of late. A long earthquake last night and flash rains this past week and I have to remind myself we are in the middle of a hot summer.

Something the beau said last night has really stayed with me ever since I woke up this morning. This past week marks both dates of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and so he had been watching something on TV about Nagasaki while I was trying to sleep off a headache. He came into the bedroom and seemed to really want to explain the Japanese consciousness of the bombings and a collective feeling in August in Japan that relates to obon, the anniversaries of the bombings and the koshien high school baseball series. I was already half unconscious but he left me by saying that when there is a lot of rain and stormy weather in August, Japanese people believe it is the tears of those who died in the bombings.

That is all.

2 comments:

jaredinnakano said...

I had not heard about rain as obon tears. That's unsettling.

It is hard as a (reluctant) US citizen to watch the Hiroshima and Nagasaki commemorations on Japanese TV. They always find a US war museum curator or other "soft" authority to vocalize the US view that the atomic bombing saved lives.

I guess the bombers must think that way. The complete silence and lack of memory in the US about the Tokyo fire-bombing is also troubling.

Maybe Obama is serious about eliminating nuclear weapons. I hope so.

Anonymous said...

The Japanese were bombed for a year -- they bombed people for years. Vivasection, beheadings, torture. Experiments with bacteria, chemicals. The tears may just be their victims... as likely as their own. learn your history.

And Obama is as serious as Bush was, as Clinton was, as Bush was, as Reagan was, as Carter was... etc etc.